Low Level Care

Low Level Care

This refers to support when you are generally well but need help with a few activities to remain independent in your own home. The Commonwealth Homecare Support Packages (CHSP) is one support option. It can be used to help with basic daily living such as:

  • garden maintenance,
  • shopping,
  • bathing,
  • grooming,
  • house cleaning
  • meals on wheels.

The government covers most of the costs for CHSP but if you can afford it, you will be asked to contribute.

If you are not eligible for CHSP there are private care providers that you can consider. In this case you will need to cover all costs. There might also be community organisations in your area. Talk with your local council about any available supports.


CHSP support

The aim of the CHSP program is to:

  • provide entry level support at home for people aged 65 years and over
  • place the focus on wellness and/or reablement with services coordinated by you
  • Funds can be used to pay for:
    • domestic assistance,
    • transport,
    • meals,
    • personal care,
    • home maintenance,
    • social support,
    • nursing and allied health, and
    • respite services.

To gain access to the CHSP program you will need to complete an assessment of your needs. Once accepted you will then need to take an active role in managing how care is provided. With CHSP it is important that you understand that:

  • you are required to complete a Regional assessment (RAS) through My Aged Care. If eligible you will be approved for a CHSP package.
  • Once approved you will need to find a provider registered with MyAgedCare. Services will only begin once you have chosen and spoken with a provider and agreed to their terms including a contribution payment from you if required.
  • You cannot be asked to contribute more than the actual cost of the service.
  • There are no exit fees if you no longer want to receive a service.

Other support

In addition to support from your GP and through CHSP there are other support programs available:

Short-term restorative care - this short-term program is provided by health professionals to help you reverse or slow the difficulties you have with everyday tasks. This could include mobility aids, minor modifications in your home, or physiotherapy. You will need to complete an ACAT assessment to access this program. It cannot be combined with HCP or a transition care package, and you are not eligible if you live permanently in residential aged care.

Transition care package – this short-term program is provided by health professionals after a hospital stay. The aim is to help you regain functional independence and confidence to remain in your own home. Ask hospital staff to arrange for assessment in hospital. Depending on how much support you need this might be provided for up to 12 weeks in your home or during a short stay in an aged care home. You cannot combine this with respite care or short-term restorative care.

Hospital and emergency care – you have access to hospital and emergency services as needed. Costs of public hospital services are mostly covered by State and Territory governments and through Medicare. Ambulance insurance is required to cover the cost of this service. If you have private health insurance coverage for palliative care included as part of hospital services, you can also access care from a private hospital.

Information on state or territory ambulance services can be found on the following websites (Ambulance cover is also available through private health insurance):

Page last updated 27 January 2022