What can my organisation do?
Ensure that information about options for respite and its potential benefits is available for carers.
If you are developing a respite program, you will need to consider:
- recognising and acknowledging the role and contribution of the carer
- that carers may not appreciate how respite could benefit them
- that carers may find it hard to let go or need time to gain confidence in the experience
- how care preferences are discussed, agreed and clearly documented including what to do if something unexpected happens
- training staff for response to emergencies
- building in evaluation and feedback mechanisms.